Sunday, July 13, 2008

Brackish

I'm the first to admit that there are times when I'm less than anal where bathing is concerned. Some days a good face washing and maybe swipe at the hair seems quite adequate. Some days I wake up feeling grimy as hell and nothing short of a good scalding will suffice. But often a quick shower amounting to little more than a good rinsing is the extent of my morning bath. Soap up the head and let the runoff do the rest. Rinse, dry, we're good.

This morning I went on a bike ride and then took my touring bike to the grocery store for some shopping. I got home and started putting together the big lunch for the kids. When everyone showed up I decided I had better rinse some of the stink off of me and headed off to the shower.

I thought today would be a "trickle down" clean up. Wash the hair and let the suds clean on the way down...that sort of thing. But then I looked down and noticed a brackish stream flowing away from my feet. Now, I know what brackish means. I know it's not what I mean here. It doesn't mean a blacky browny color, a color water flowing from your body should not have. But, hey, this is my blog and today brackish is a blacky browny color, a color water flowing from your body should not have. (And, yes, I know blacky and browny are acceptable names for dogs but not adjectives.)

Anyway, once I saw the dirt stream flowing from my feet (I was wearing sandals while riding, so that's not too unexpected, is it?) I decided to take a full on soap up everything and scrub it down approach. With everyone coming over I certainly didn't want to come out of the shower and still have everyone think I'm a sweaty, salty, unpleasant mess. Wait. Salty. Unpleasant. Fetid. Stale. Distasteful. Hmm. Maybe brackish is the right word after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment