Sunday, November 9, 2008

Election Day, November 4, 2008

Election Day, November 4, 2008

I want to feel hope.
I want to feel the blissful
Sense of renewal and
The Dawn of a New Age.
I want to know the firm embrace
Of collective accomplishment,
The comfort of a united nation.

I see the loosening of chains:
Real, imagined, metaphorical.
Centuries of oppression
Lifted like a veil by a simple count.
Like a magic trick: 1, 2, 3...you're free.
At least for the moment.
At least for the foreseeable future.

Tonight we shed our tears.
Tonight we feel the weight lifted.
We try to hide our schadenfreude:
Our victory is over more than
The small minded, the short sighted,
The angry few grinding down our foundation
To a rubble of division.

Our victory is over limits,
The barriers that held us back;
Barriers of fear and suppression.
Barriers we helped erect
In a moment of weakness and sorrow.
Tonight we have come together
To reclaim a vision and to swing a hammer.

So tonight, amidst the rubble,
I feel the hope and I see the renewal.
Half sheltered behind these broken walls
Of a decade of ruin, I feel it.
But it is cautious. It is guarded.
For it is newborn and vulnerable.
We must be vigilant for its survival.

-Chris Kmotorka

No comments:

Post a Comment