Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Moon And Venus


Our friends Ken and Marie came over last night and brought out the telescope and did a little star gazing. It's a little difficult because we have a few neighbors who seem to think they should light up the entire neighborhood at night with their "security" lighting. But we were able to get a good look at the moon and venus. They were in near perfect alignment, which was cool. But what I hadn't realized until I set up the telescope was that Venus was in a crescent that was nearly identical to that of the moon, only much smaller.


Both were slivers of smiles and bright despite how thin they were.

It was a good time to look at the moon because it wasn't overwhelmingly bright. I tried to take a couple of pictures with the little hand held digital camera that I have but I wasn't very steady, as you can see--I'd only had one beer and a mere taste of the port, I swear!