Thursday, February 28, 2008

Snack Time


I made up a batch of snack critters to take to class. I had asked my students how many of them were willing to try something new and at least half the class raised a hand. I was curious how many of them actually meant it!

I wasn't too surprised to find that many of those who had raised a hand would have nothing to do with our crispy, tasty fare.

Several students, however, did have a go and most of them thought they were OK. I'm not going to lie and say anyone was so hooked they wanted to eat like this every day, but they did like them enough to try a second.

A couple of people wanted to take a couple with them so they could get a friend or family member to give them a try.

What we had here was a combination of superworms and wax moth larvae. The waxworms were actually quite tasty. After frying them I had sprinkled them with a dash of maple pepper so they had a tangy little bite to them.

I highly recommend entomophagy--the eating of insects. Tasty, high in protein, and nowhere near as damaging to the environment as the farming of meat animals! Give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment