Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Poem About King Kong (?)

Tonight on AMC (Seriously, AMC? Yes. AMC.) they are showing the 1976 Dino de Laurentiis remake of King Kong, starring Jeff Bridges, Charles Grodin, Rene Auberjonois, and, oh yeah, Jessica Lange. The movie had an impact on my young, impressionable mind. I decided to write a poem about it....

King Kong


I'm thirteen years old and Jessica Lange has changed my life forever.
A Black Velvet Girl pulled from the sea, wet and pure and flawless.
Her smile has opened my eyes to a world of imagination,
An imagination that won't quit for a lifetime.

It's 1976 and I'm sure there is something important going on,
But I can't for the life of me care what it just might be:
Jessica Lange is wearing a cut-off top that promises everything.
And she's this close to slipping into the ocean.

I immediately understand this creature's obsession.
I saw her on the pedestal of offering; I would have grabbed her, too.
I'm sitting in a theater watching a monster movie,
But the monster is not the one on the screen--

I've been struck and I never saw it coming, never considered
Anything could overshadow and render irrelevant
The awesome and terrible power of King Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment