Saturday, October 11, 2008

Directionally Challenged

I've always had issues with directions. I generally do OK out in the woods or wilderness or whatever. I have a good sense of where it is I need to go. But put me in a city, especially an unfamiliar one, and I'm useless, just lost. While I could probably do a passable job of placing the names of states on a map of the U.S., maybe not as well as a fifth grader, but passable, I still get screwed up when I think of where things are. For instance, probably because we took a trip there from Michigan when I was a kid, I still think of Salt Lake City as "way out west." That's just the way it is programmed in my head. If you were to ask me where Salt Lake City is, I'd say "out west." Of course, I know it's in Utah. And when pressed to think about it, I know that Utah is actually north of here. But I just looked at Google Maps and it still freaked me out that Salt Lake City is damn near due north of Tucson. Almost 800 miles due north. I still find that odd to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment