Friday, October 24, 2008

DTV Doomsday

I keep seeing these dark, dramatic, end of the world commercials about the switch from analog to digital television signals. The tone of these ads is that unless you take steps to make sure your television is capable of receiving a digital signal you world will end. All will be lost. Armageddon. Forget the terrifying thoughts of a potential McCain Presidency or the idea that Sarah Palin could be President. Those possibilities are silly in comparison. The only problem is that most of the commercials I see are on cable channels. They aren't on local network channels or Telemundo. They're on cable. Cable. If you're watching cable then your television is fine! Why the hell do they need ... holy shit: I'm watching Comedy Central while I write this and they are airing an ad--right this minute--featuring a local Fire Chief explaining that if you don't check to see if your television is cable ready (I"m fucking watching Comedy Central for chrissake) then your house will burn down and your pets will die because...hell, I have no idea why. The point is, as I started to say before, if you're watching cable then your damned television will work just fine. You can't watch these channels with rabbit ears. Who's the genius making these ad buys anyway? McCain's campaign strategists?

No comments:

Post a Comment