Friday, December 12, 2008

Harvest Restaurant, Tucson, AZ

I just got home from a very good but horribly overpriced dinner at Harvest Restaurant. The newest venture of a local restaurant group, it has a nice premise: Rely as much as possible on organic and locally produced foods and when it isn't possible, make sure it comes from a responsible source. I like the concept and that's why I wanted to eat there.

I was surprised to find a dearth of vegetarian offerings beyond a soup and a couple of salads. Apparently they've had a lot of comments regarding this and are going to add more vegetarian dishes. For now, they can make the fettucine without chicken sausage and chicken stock and they'll make up a vegetable dish for you. I opted for that option. I give them credit, they came out and asked what types of veggies I liked, etc.

What I received was good. It was very tasty. But, seriously, $19 for about 1/4 cup each of rice, kale, and mushrooms served on a smear of pear chutney? Seriously? That's ridiculous. There couldn't have been $3 worth of ingredients on that plate (and I'm being generous). What is that? It's over a 600% mark up. Ridiculous. Like I said, I liked the food but I won't be in any hurry to go back to pay $80 for $35 meal.