Sunday, December 28, 2008

Newspaper Redux

Well, the other day I posted some off the cuff comments about newspapers. Admittedly, like most everything I do, the thinking was sporadic and lazy. However, thanks to my friend [don't know if he wants his name here even though no one actually reads this blog], I can offer a reasoned and knowledgeable response to my own daft commentary. My friend has spent any number of years in the newspaper industry (Does that disqualify his comments? I don't think so.) and knows a whole hell of a lot more about how it works than I do. I am impressed he took as much time to reply as he did. I guess I touched a nerve. Maybe it's a case of Public Perception (me) versus News Industry Knowledge (him). Either way, his response is excellent. But longish. I am posting a link for you to look at the response. I think it's too long to post here in toto. [Actually, I got a taste of how my students must feel--I always tell them that when my comments are longer than their essay they should be worried!]

Newspaper Comment Response