Friday, March 6, 2009

Music, Taste, And How It All Works

I don't know. Don't have a clue. All I know is that I was recently blown away by a Canadian musician named Serena Ryder. Her song "A Little Bit of Red" first caught my ear and then I checked out the whole CD. I think it's wonderful. It's folky, it's raw, and it's lyrically fantastic. The hooks are solid, the arrangements varied enough to avoid that monotony you sometimes get with this type of artist. There's a lot of fine musicianship, to boot. I have been recommending it to everyone.

Today I slipped a copy to my daughter and her reaction was one of...well, she was thoroughly unimpressed. As she put it, it's nothing she hasn't heard before. She said she couldn't listen to the song I had been impressed by. She did note the occasional resemblance to Melissa Etheridge but claimed those moments too few and far between. Of course, I'd say if I wanted to listen to Melissa Etheridge I'd listen to Melissa Etheridge, but whatever.

I don't know what makes two people react differently to things. I don't know why I might like some music so much and someone else so close to me not really like it at all. I know that there are times when I listen to a piece of music and it just doesn't do anything for me. It might later, though. It all depends on where your head is at. Of course, who knows if you'll give something you didn't care for a chance when that time comes around. I don't know. I suspect if my daughter were to give the CD a few listens it would start to grow on her. Who knows?

I say, if you haven't heard Serena Ryder, give her a listen. You can stream several tunes at her MySpace page. I think you'll like her.

http://www.myspace.com/serenaryder