Monday, March 16, 2009

Square Foot Gardening

Last year I built a small (4' x 4') Square Foot Garden. It worked well, with the exception of being trashed a number of times by one of my dogs who has an uncontrollable addiction to chasing lizards. Unfortunately, the lizards like going in and behind the garden and so Pepper went crazy and chased them into and around the garden, destroying a lot of plants in the process. My beans never made it. I replanted tomatoes three times. Several chiles didn't survive.

By mid-summer I had a mish-mash fence and cover system that finally managed to keep Pepper out of the garden. Unfortunately, it was also really ugly. It was more eyesore than garden. So this year I decided to build a much nicer fence system around the garden.

The new enclosure is three feet tall, framed from 2' x 2's, and sheathed in kennel fencing. I have screwed the three surrounding "walls" to the garden frame so it should be fairly sturdy once I have attached the front gate, which will be hinged and have a latch on one side. Unfortunately, as I was putting it all together tonight--in the dark while wearing a headlamp with weak batteries--I learned something about hinges: Apparently, all packages of small hinges come in packs of two with the exception of the size I happened to buy. Sigh. I had a smaller size in my hand when I second-guessed and grabbed the next size larger. Looks like that's the size where they start packaging them as singles. Now I have to run back to ACE or Home Depot to get a second hinge before I can finish the garden enclosure.

I will post a photo when it's done.