Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Universal Health Care?

Everyone deserves access to affordable health care. I'm good with that. And that means that some people will get that health care for free. I'm down with that, too. Yes, I know that means the rest of us will have to pay for that. Yep. That will mean higher taxes. Yep. I'd rather pay taxes for the health care of everyone than taxes for nonsensical wars of choice. I'm willing to go a step further. I would say that in addition to higher taxes we can compromise on that tax rate and lower it by making people pay for health care when they can afford it. I propose we have one standard health care plan, not different tiers for people who can afford "real" health care and minimal coverage for those who can't. No. I propose there is one single level of health care--you get the care that you need, no matter what that care entails, no matter who you are. If you have cancer, you get chemo. If you have a congenital heart defect, you get a transplant. So on and so forth. For that we pay higher taxes and some of us pay a flat rate for health care based on our income. There, I said it. The rich will pay more for health care just as they should pay higher taxes. And, yes, doctors will no longer be able to turn themselves into millionaires by charging unfair rates. And drug companies will be held to realistic profits. So on and so forth and anyone who disagrees can go to hell. In exchange, I propose there also be huge tuition benefits for people who enter the medical profession and perform up to certain standards (right up to free education for those who meet certain criteria of performance). No one should ever have to die or suffer because they can't afford medical treatment.