Sunday, November 8, 2009

"Excess" Baggage

Here's another thing to bug the crap out of me!!!

I just noticed on the receipt for the $20 they charged for my suitcase (each way!!!) that it is a claim check for "excess baggage"!!! Since when is a suitcase while traveling "excess" baggage? I can see if you check a second or third bag. Sure. If you can't do with one,  you're going about it incorrectly. But to imply that anything above a "carry on and small personal item" is "excess" baggage is ludicrous.

That said, judging from my flights this week I'm not sure how the airlines can be making any money. Two of my connecting flights have been on the empty side. The flight from DFW to LEX only had twenty-one passengers! The flight from LEX to ATL was empty enough that they actually announced that everyone was on the plane and if you wanted to find a better seat, go for it. The flight from ATL to PHX, a big 757, had some, but not many, empty seats.