Wednesday, April 7, 2010

SunChips Go Compostable, Week 05

Here we are about a third of the way into the estimated composting cycle of the SunChips compostable bag. As I've said in previous posts, the change has not been dramatic but I suppose it is greater than what you're seeing in the photographs. From the photos you'd probably think the only change is dirt. The bag has definitely lost some integrity in a way that's more tactile than visual. Still, it's a pretty good bag that could probably hold some stuff if you felt a need to transport goods in a dirty chip bag that's been in a fly infested compost bin for five weeks. Personally, I'd look for a better conveyance. And I definitely wouldn't carry anything edible...

You might notice that last week I received a comment from SunChips. I thought that was pretty cool. They didn't offer to send me any free chips so that I'd have more compostable bags for my bin, but, hey, what are ya gonna do? I'm sure they have a few interns who spend the day searching the internet for comments made on blogs and chat rooms--probably trying to head off any bad press if any might be found. Still, a couple of free bags would have been nice.