Friday, April 16, 2010

SunChips Go Compostable, Week 06

It's week six and the bag is still whole and even a little crinkly. I added a bunch of weeds from the yard this week so there's a lot more moisture and with the temperatures rising I suspect things are going to happen a little more quickly in the coming weeks. My tumbler is still not "finished," so I am thinking that I might add a new bag to the tumbler when it comes time to add a new batch to it. This bag might still be in the works when that happens, but it'll be interesting to see if the progress is any faster when it's in a proper composting environment from day one rather than starting it's compost life in a staging bin that isn't necessarily ideal composting conditions.

One thing is for sure, the tumbler is doing a nice job or converting the stuff that's in there. I think it'll be my first batch of real "quality" compost. That is, the best break down of larger pieces, even "burning," and general break down into soil-like compost.