Monday, December 7, 2009

Training, Day 01

Can't say things started off on a high note! I shut the alarm off and said no way to running before the kids got here. It has been dark and cloudy all day, but no rain. I gathered up some stuff for a short trip to the post office so we did manage to get in about a mile of blustery walking. Of course, on our way back it finally decided to start raining! It was a light rain and I fortunately had the rain cover for the stroller. I pulled it out and slipped it on--sort of. One of these days I'm actually going to have to figure out how it attaches to the frame! It did provide some wind cover for the kids and it kept them dry, so that's good. I am going to figure it out and put it on for the winter. If nothing else, wind protection goes a long way when it's cold.

Tomorrow, I promise!

Numbers: Well, I did say I would post numbers, so here it goes. These are the numbers our scale gives us. Some are obvious, some less so. But I have them, so I'll post them. None of them are good...I'm obese!

Weight: 212.2
BMI: 30
Resting Metabolism: 1935
Skeletal Muscle: 33.3
Body Fat: 28.1
Visceral Fat: 13

You can compare it to February 19, which is the last time I actually wrote any of these numbers down. At least the numbers are better now than they were then!

Weight: 221.6
BMI: 31.3
Resting Metabolism: 1986
Skeletal Muscle: 31
Body Fat: 32.4
Visceral Fat: 15

What is visceral fat? 
Visceral fat is located around the organs. Too much visceral fat is thought to be closely linked to increased level of fat in the bloodstream, which can lead to common conditions such as high cholesterol, cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Sedentary life style causes excess visceral fat, and exercise can reduce it quicker than subcutaneous fat (fat located under skin). 
What is resting metabolism? 
Resting metabolism is the energy to maintain vital functions and it counts 60 to 70% of total energy consumption. Knowing your resting metabolism can help your diet plan. If you can increase daily activity while keeping food intake at resting metabolism level, you can lose weight. 
What is skeletal muscle? 
Skeletal muscle is muscle attached to the bones that is used to move the body. If you do weight loss without exercise, you may lose skeletal muscle. Skeletal muscle is important to maintain your resting metabolism as well as your functionality. Monitoring skeletal muscle during weight loss is key to avoid weight rebound in the future.