Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Animate-Inanimate or Evidence of Time Travel

Do you ever get the feeling that inanimate objects have a life of their own but that they're really good at covering up their tracks? Well, I might have evidence of not only inanimate-animation, but time travel as well. Either that or all of that UFO activity in this region back in the 50s wasn't so far-fetched after all.

Yesterday I rode my bike out to Oracle. I stopped at the market at Oracle Junction and my bike computer put the trip at twenty-five and a couple of tenths miles. I went into the market and got something to eat and drink, caught my breath, and went back out to my bike. I filled the water bottles up with the drinks I had bought, put my pack back on, my helmet, gloves, sunglasses, and I was ready to go. I looked down and my odometer was at 67 miles.

I kept switching through the screens to see if I was looking at it wrong, but no, while I was in the store my bike traveled forty-two miles—and quickly, too: I probably averaged thirteen miles per hour on the way out but the average speed had popped up to an average of twenty-eight miles per hour! I kept track all the way home and everything was back to normal—distance, speed, cadence, all were accurate. Now, unless this market is actually a government secret installation doing some really whacked out things with electronic signals, and if you don't come up with ridiculously ludicrous explanations like the magnet was lined up with the sensor in such a way that even though at rest it registered movement, the only reasonable explanation is that my bike took off without me.

Okay, I'm a realist. I don't go for much mumbo jumbo or outlandish "phenomena." I'm willing to admit that maybe the bike didn't just go off on its own, travel a round trip distance of forty-two miles and then slip through a time-wrinkle to get back to the market before I missed the bike and simply forgetting to reset its computer to where I had left it. I can concede this. I suppose it is possible that a person from the future came along, borrowed the bike, took it for a spin, and then brought it back to a time before he or she took it. And maybe he or she forgot to set the computer. This is actually a more likely and far more plausible explanation because there's no way that I know of to deduct miles from a bike computer without completely resetting the distance. If the bike did this on its own, then I'm sure there would be a way for the animate-inanimate to do such a thing, since they'd be in cohoots. But if some being with the ability to time travel came along and borrowed and then returned the bike, then he or she would not realistically be able to reset the computer to where I had it. The only way to do that would be to keep track of his or her own distance and then reset the computer to zero when he or she was twenty-five and change from the market.

Of course, I suppose it is completely reasonable to realize that just because you can travel through time it doesn't mean you're going to be smart enough to remember every last detail. Occasionally you're going to slip up and leave a little piece of evidence behind. I think we should all start compiling the evidence. We need to catch these bastards before they wear all our stuff out!

No comments:

Post a Comment