Friday, January 18, 2008

Early Ballots for the Primary

Here in Arizona our primary doesn't come around until February 5. Governor Napolitano has already endorsed Barack Obama. I got online and requested a mail-in ballot. I almost always do that because who knows what's going to be happening on election day. It arrived in my mail box the very next day. Exciting, huh?

There are 24 names on this ballot. And this is just the Democratic Party ballot names. Seriously. Twenty-four names. I was under the assumption, based on television coverage, that there are only two and a half candidates in the running. The one squeaky mouse who roars, Dennis Kucinich, was even banned from the last debate because he has been summarily dismissed by the media. Now, I recognize that Mr. Kucinich is crazy. He's a loon. I admit it. But you know all of those online quizzes you can take to determine who "your" candidate is? He always comes out at the top of my list. Him and Dodd. Dodd's no longer in the running. I was pushing for Joe Biden, who I see as the only reasonable choice, but even he is no longer in the game.

So who are these twenty-four people? Sure, we know the main contenders and ex-contenders. But who the heck are Libby Hubbard and Orion Daley? Tish Haymer and Karl Krueger? I'm sure the requirements for getting on the ballot are different state to state. Maybe in Arizona all you have to do is pay a fee. I'm going to have to find out. Maybe I can have my name on the ballot in 2012. Then my grandkids can all say that their grandpa ran for President of the United States of America! I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with a few of these people. Surely they can't be so deluded as to think they actually have a chance. Well, of course, there is Sandy Whitehouse. She's the first name on my ballot and, as you can tell from her name, she's just plain destined for the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment