Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cold!

Yesterday it was very windy. Today the wind continues but not quite with the gusto with which it blew last night. It's 12:30pm right now and it's still in the 50s. There is actually a freeze warning for tonight. I don't like the cold. Never have. That's one of the main reasons I moved to Arizona from the bone-deep cold of northern Michigan.

I will have to cover some plants tonight, especially the small moro blood orange tree I recently planted. It is small, a few years from fruit, I suspect, but a promise there in my yard that I don't want to give up just yet. Last winter saw the demise of my photinia, which I'm still surprised by--it was a few years old, established, large, and had been doing well. At one point a tortoise had burrowed down into the roots and perhaps that exposure is what did it in. I don't know. Either way, it's gone. I have some honeysuckles that are still pretty small. I hope they make it through the winter. They should. Other than that, most things are in pots on the patio and will probably be okay. Everything else is on its own.

El Tour de Tucson is only a few weeks away and I have been hoping for decent weather. I hope this is not a sign of what's to come and rather simply a freak dip in temperatures caused by a storm in another part of the world. I hope.