Friday, October 30, 2009

New SPAM

I received a new kind of SPAM yesterday. Well, new for me. I received a text alert on my cell phone telling me that my credit card beginning 476390 has been deactivated and I had to call 888.222.8983 to reactivate my card. Of course, I don't have a card beginning with those numbers so I called Joan to make sure none of her cards started with those numbers or to see if she had a secret credit card starting with those numbers, just in case. But no. I certainly didn't call the number.

Last night I popped the phone number into Google and did a search. The number came up in a fraud reporting site. Someone received the same text on the same day from the same number; only the credit card numbers were different. I assume that when you call the number they "verify" enough of your information to end up issuing you a brand new high interest rate credit card that is chock full of fees and other money-draining "options" to "keep you safe from fraud."

The sad part is that there are probably people out there who will call the number and some of those people will foolishly give out their information and end up falling for the scam.

Can you imagine if the people who come with these scams actually used their time and skills for good?